AGAPE sponsors an annual Poetry Night where homeschooled children of all ages have an opportunity to recite a short poem, prose selection, scripture passage, or dramatic speech. The children in grades 4 and up are judged by a panel of qualified adults. They may however elect to be un-judged. The judged entries will compete for ribbons in each age category. Age categories will be determined after receiving all entries. Younger performers will receive a participate ribbon.
Friday, March 15, 2013 at Covenant Reformed Presbyterian Church,
Asheville, North Carolina
5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
(Recitations to begin at 6:15)
Considerations as You Choose Your Selection:
- Maximum Time limit of 5 minutes will be strictly enforced. There is no minimum time requirement.
- Two or more students reciting a selection together will have a time limit of 8 minutes.
- Parents will be responsible to choose or edit selections which will be appropriate for an audience of all ages.
- Poem topics must be in keeping with AGAPE’s purposes as a Christian homeschool group.
- Performances will be limited to one poem per participant.
- Duplicate entries (the same poem performed by more than one participant) will not be permitted.
- Dramatic speeches and monologues are permitted.
- Simple props are permitted but will not add points for judged competition. Any set-up time for props must be minimal.
How to Enter:
Deadline for receiving entries is March 4th 2013.
Cost will be $5.00 per participant with a $15.00 cap per family, payable upon entry. Free to current AGAPE members.
- Confirm your selection, assuring it has not already been taken, by emailing Nancy Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org) or calling 231-2261. Please do this before your child begins memorization to avoid wasted effort.
- Fill out the form below and attach to one copy of the poem your child will perform.
- Mail form, poem copy, and $5.00/child to: Nancy Jones, 527 Black Oak Cove Road, Candler, NC 28715
- Alternatively, you may e-mail a copy of your selection(s) to Nancy at email@example.com. If you e-mail the poems, please be sure to pay the entry fee by the deadline.
For Judging Category (Grades 4th – 12th), Please circle one category below:
- Humorous (intended to make the audience laugh)
- Serious (presents an idea or concept of a serious nature, intended to make the audience think)
- Dramatic (presents a story or ballad in a dramatic way)
- Original Poem (written by the participant)
- Two or more persons reciting together
Coffee and Water will be provided for the evening. Please Circle TWO that you can provide for the evening. No dips please. All foods should be finger foods. Thank you.
1. Finger Sandwich Tray
2. Finger Vegetable Tray
3. Finger Fruit Tray
4. Cheese and Cracker Tray (or Chips)
5. Dessert Tray
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – -Registration Form – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Participant’s Name____________________________________ Homeschool Grade______
Title of Poem_____________________________ Poem’s Author_______________________
Phone number__________________ email _______________________________________
Short Cut Form Info:
Alternatively, you may use the e-mail “Short Cut” below, emailing to Nancy at firstname.lastname@example.org. (If you e-mail the poems, please be sure to pay the entry fee by the deadline, March 4th.)
1.) Student Name
2.) Student Grade
3.) Poem Name & Author
4.) Copy of or Link to Poem
5.) Category Choice
6.) 2 Food Tray choices
7.) Mail $5 per student if not a current Agape member. (See address above.)